An ancient therapy known to relieve pain as well as restore health and vitality. Tradition holds that some 5,000 years ago, the Chinese discovered that stimulation of various body points led to recovery from disease and injury. Today, acupuncture is officially recognized by the World Health Organizations as a treatment for more than 200 clinical disorders. As is the case with chiropractic care and nutrition, acupuncture is a holistic means of health care, addressing your body as a whole versus just treating its symptoms. Rather than prescribing a drug, an acupuncturist learns why your body isn't functioning optimally, and treats the condition accordingly.
The underlying principle in one of energy flow.
A natural flow of energy called Qi, or "chee" in Chinese, travels through the body along pathways called meridians. There are 12 meridians along each side of your body, each associated with an organ or bodily function. Dozens of acupuncture points lie along these meridians. When your Qi is out of balance, deficient or blocked, you can experience pain or disease. Your acupuncturist reads your pulse, examines your tongue and inquires about signs and symptoms to determine the status of your Qi. This identified which points along which meridians need to be stimulated or sedated.
How a treatment works and feels.
Acupuncture uses fine needles with tapered points that part rather than cut the skin. You feel a slight prick; nothing near the sensation of an injection. You may experience a sense of release but no pain during the treatment. The needles remain in place anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes, during which you may fall asleep, waking refreshed and relaxed.
Acupuncture is entirely safe as practiced at White Chiropractic. We observe strict standards for sterilization, and dispose of the needles after each use. If you're nervous about needles, acupressure or laser stimulation can be used as effective alternatives.
About your Acupuncturist: Dr. Sheila White
Dr. White uses acupuncture, nutrition, craniosacral therapy, and applied kinesiology in conjunction with chiropractic care. Because she understands the workings of the body from a number of perspectives; she is uniquely qualified to design a treatment plan that addresses your specific condition.
Commonly Treated Conditions
- Circulatory Disorders: angina, high blood pressure, stroke, heart palpitations
- Neurological Disorders: tingling, dizziness, numbness, trigeminal neuralgia, Bell's palsy, multiple sclerosis, tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: diarrhea, ingestion, constipation, colitis, peptic ulcer, anorexia, gastritis, irritable bowel syndrome
- Respiratory Problems: asthma, chronic bronchitis, allergies, sinusitis, emphysema, common colds
- Headaches: migraine, tension, sinus, cluster
- Gynecological Problems: premenstrual syndrome (PMS), infertility, menstrual difficulties, fibrocystic disease, menopause symptoms, morning sickness
- Muscle, Nerve and Joint Pain: arthritis, tendonitis, bursitis, low back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, whiplash, muscle cramps, sciatica, TMJ problems
- Supportive Therapy: immune support, chronic pain, energy enhancement
- Urogenital Disorders: incontinence, impotence, infertility, prostatitis, urinary tract infections, decreased libido (sex drive)
- Emotional Difficulties: stress, insomnia, depression, anxiety, irritability, bipolar disorder
- Addictions: smoking, alcohol, food, drugs
- Pediatrics: ear infections, asthma, hyperactivity, bed-wetting